ICO registration reference: ZA450095
Data controllers and processors: Lisa Langley-Metcalfe
This policy is written with the purpose of providing transparent information concerning how ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ controls and processes personal data. If you have any queries regarding this policy, please contact me using the details above. To find out more about General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and your rights, please go to: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/
‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ provides personal counselling to children involving third party counselling agreements with parents / carers and individuals who have parental responsibility for child clients and fund the counselling.
How do we collect information about you?
Information about you is obtained when you:
- Respond to the contact form on ‘counselling4children’ website
- Send me an email or text
- Call me on the telephone
- Send me information through the post
- Fill out a form in my practice
- Verbally give me information in my practice
What type of information is collected from you?
Any client data collected and/or retained by ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ (including personal information) is processed for the purposes of initiating counselling for you / your child. Information is collected during the first contact and consultation. Parents are requested to provide their consent to their children entering the counselling agreement and required to consent to their own data being processed as detailed.
In order to establish if I can provide counselling for you / your child I will collect and process the following personal information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Telephone number
- GP name and address
- Parent/Carer Name and telephone number and/or email address (where relevant)
- Email address
- Counselling notes are anonymised and are only identifiable only by me using unique client codes. To protect yours and your child’s identity these notes are not shared with anyone unless I am legally required to do so or if with consent you request I share them with a third party, which I have a right to also refuse.
- Personal data that identities you and/or your child will be held separately and securely from counselling notes in order to protect your anonymity.
- You have a right to view these notes and you will be advised of any request to share these notes.
- These notes are the property of Lisa Langley-Metcalfe
- I collect this information to understand your child needs from counselling so that I can provide an effective counselling service.
How else may your information be used?
- To carry out my obligations arising from any contracts or agreements entered into by you and Lisa Langley-Metcalfe
- To seek feedback on the services provided
- To notify you of relevant changes to ‘counnselling4children’ services
- To make relevant contact with and provide counselling services to clients.
What about third party data collection & processing?
- I will not sell or rent your information to third parties
- I will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes
Counselling4children email and domain hosting is hosted by Names.co.uk within a data centre located in the UK. All Names.co.uk services comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
During GDPR service readiness audit, security and compliance experts confirmed that Names.co.uk has in place effective technical and organizational measures for data processors to secure personal data in accordance with the GDPR. If you have any queries regarding Namesco, you can contact them directly following this link: https://www.names.co.uk/info/contact-us
Counselling4children web hosting is hosted by squarespace.com services which comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). If you have any queries regarding Squarespace, you can contact them directly following this link: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000851908-GDPR-and-Squarespace#toc-does-squarespace-need-to-store-data-in-the-eu-
Data storage, retention & disposal
- ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ stores paper records, including personal information in a locked filing cabinet and electronic information in password protected and encrypted format (including email, telephone numbers and text).
- Telephone numbers are anonymised, with those and any text messages being held on individual counsellors password protected professional mobile phones
- Session/counselling notes are held separately from personal and identifying information in a anonymised format.
- Data is held for a maximum of 5 years after client’s last contact with ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’, in line with insurance requirements and GDPR. After this time, data is then disposed of securely and confidentially.
It is rare that any personal information would be shared beyond ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ during the course of counselling. As a registered counsellor member of the BACP, anonymised client information is shared with professional supervisors (a requirement of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) in order to maintain effective monitoring of the counselling provision for clients that supports ethical competence. Personal information will not be shared with any other party without prior client consent, with the exception where ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ believes that not sharing the information would result in the risk of harm to clients or any other person or if there is a legal requirement to do so. In the event that ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ is in some way incapacitated, all records will be destroyed confidentially. Every effort will be made to ensure current clients are informed of this action.
- Consent – Following the BACP ethical code of practice careful consideration will be given to working with children and young people that takes account of their capacity to give informed consent, considering whether it is appropriate to seek the consent of others who have parental responsibility for the young person, and their best interests.
- Parents / carers are requested to provide their consent to their children entering the counselling agreement and are required to consent to their own data being processed as detailed, however, in order to maintain a child’s right to confidentiality this does not mean that they will be privy to any information the child discloses during the course of counselling.
- If another type of third party is involved, unless we gather personal information relating to themselves, their consent will not be required. Other than attendance information, no other information will be shared regarding the client, without the client providing consent.
Access to personal data and requests to erase, limit use or amend personal data
Clients are informed that they can request access to personal information at any time and can learn more about their rights in relation to GDPR following this link: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/. No charges will be made for accessing personal information and the personal information will be provided at the earliest possible time. Clients also have the right to request that data is erased, limited or amended.
Where there has been a breech to ‘Lisa Langley-Metcalfe’ GDPR policy, for example the sharing of data with a third party without consent, the breech will be reported to the ICO within 72 hours.